Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

I just L-O-V-E the holidays =]

Especially when it is cold outside...

(Well as cold as California can get...)

I was SO excited to wake up this Thanksgiving weekend to some HaRd CoRe rain...and wind...and thunder..and SNOW on the mountain! YES!



Of coarse the cat was NOT very happy
(notice how unbelievable large she is)


Well along with the holidays comes visits from close friends and family.
So I decided to throw a huge breakfast together...



I think I tend to take on more than I can tackle.

So anyways I decided we needed something warm and comforting for breakfast. Why not cinnamon rolls?!?!


So the night before I made the dough and let it rise overnight (5-6 hours)
Note: It doesn't take THAT long to rise...you only need it to rise 2-3. But the more it rises, the lighter and fluffier it is =]

Then in the morning I rolled out the dough and loaded it with TONS of BUTTA', TONS OF BROWN SUGA', and TONS OF CINNAMON...just bliss**



Just look at that roll of goodness




Then when I rolled it all up and took some floss and cut the rolls, about 1/2 and inch to 1 inch thick.



Then spread on greased cookie sheet and let rise for two hours...or an hour and a half..or twenty minutes...depends on your patience =]


Ok...so there is kind of a problem. As soon as the loads of people started arriving, I popped those suckers into the oven for 10 to fifteen minutes. As soon as they were out and frosted up (with cream cheese frosting of coarse), they were GONE! I didn't even have time to snap a nice pic... =[

Although I did find this lonely guy a couple hours after we had all eaten...So I did what I could to make it look yummy...

I even ran out of frosting so I couldn't show you its overall greatness...

So I am sorry to say but your going to have to use your imagination for this one...




In the end it didn't really matter, because I had a great time with friends and family...all who I am truly grateful for =]



(Pay NO attention that we aren't wearing makeup)

Ok so here is the recipe:
(Found in my grandma's cookbook)

Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
3 1/4 tsp. yeast
1/4 cup warm water (this is very crucial that the water is warm, but not too hot)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
4 1/2 cups flour

melted butter
brown sugar
cinnamon

Directions
1. Add yeast to warm water and let sit for ten minutes
2. Heat milk until scalded and then pour over shortening
3. Add sugar and salt, and let cool.
4. Add yeast and egg
5. Beat in flour, one cup at a time
6. Be careful not to beat to much, because you do not want to over work the dough, or else it won't rise as much.
7. Place in greased bowl and let rise for at least 2-3 hours.
8. Once risen, roll out dough. (I like to roll mine out thin so its not too bready)
9. Cover with melted butter, tons of brown sugar, and cinnamon.
10. Roll and cut into individual rolls.
11. Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise for another 2 hours.
12. Brush some melted butter on top of rolls, and place in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
13. Cover with Cream Cheese Frosting =]

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
1 8 oz brick cream cheese
1/2 stick of butter
1 tsp. vanilla
4-5 Tablespoons milk or whipping cream
about 5 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Beat all ingredients together until frosting consistency. For a thicker frosting add more powdered sugar. For a more liquid frosting add more milk (by the Tablespoon)






1 comment:

  1. I am soooo making these on Saturday!! -Oh and I think I love your fat cat...her & I have a lot incommon. haha.

    ReplyDelete